August 17, 2017
Our Savvy Checklist to Prep your Home for Winter
In the famous words of the Stark House, “Winter is Coming” (Game of Thrones, anyone?). This means that for most of the country things freeze, get clogged, and get covered in snow, not to see the light of day until spring. We have compiled a handy list of things to ensure your home is clean, healthy, and safe, ready to face the cold days ahead.
- Gutter Maintenance. Trust us, you will be thankful for this come springtime rains. Inspect and clean your gutters and downspouts.
- Winter faucets. If you have any outdoor faucets make sure they are drained and winterized.
- Wash interior and exterior windows, checking the caulking to make sure there are no cracks.
- Walks your walks. Repairing damaged sidewalks, driveways, and steps now will keep water from getting in there and freezing, making the problems worse.
- Keep Santa safe, stay on top of roof problems. Check your roof for old or damaged shingles, and corroded or leaky vents.
- Freshen up your furnace filter. Clean or replace dirty furnace filters. And while you’re at it, have a professional check your heating system to make sure it is up to keeping you warm all winter long
- Humidifier health. Clean plates or pads to ensure efficient operation and healthy air!
- Avoid gas problems. If you have a gas-fired room heater, make sure it is inspected by a pro, and keep it well maintained.
- Keep safe at home. Test all your smoke and CO monitors, check fire extinguishers, and review fire escape plans. Stay safe!