Recently I delivered a three-hour presentation for the Entrepreneurs’ Organization in Vancouver. I was really delighted to share my ideas on what it takes to be a world-class entrepreneur. The productivity habits of best entrepreneurs, and ultimately how you build a fast growth company while actually cultivating a better lifestyle. A lifestyle where you have more fun and more balanced.
And I wanted to share the 11 Obsessions of Remarkable Entrepreneurs with you. Because I shared a lot of the ideas with them and I wanted to offer them to you so you can multiply your profits, build a truly great small company while creating a truly exceptional lifestyle.
The 11 Obsessions of Remarkable Entrepreneurs
1. Remarkable Entrepreneurs understand the quality of the practice determines the caliber of the performance
The Pro Athlete Protocol: Prepare Yourself Mentally, Physically + Emotionally
2. Bureaucrats talk about people and problems, Remarkable Entrepreneurs talk about possibilities and solutions
Focus on results and get things done. Continually ask yourself, “What’s the opportunity here? How can we leverage this situation.” Focus on possibilities. Results. Results. Results.
3. Remarkable Entrepreneurs understand they are paid not just to work, but they are paid to be scared
The best entrepreneurs play out on the edges and take calculated risks. Challenge the way you performed yesterday. Take calculated risks.
4. To have what only 1% of the entrepreneurial population have, you must be willing to do what only 1% of the entrepreneurial population are willing to do
The best entrepreneurs do what’s difficult, what causes them to stretch and what requires commitment. Be committed. Be willing to do what the few do. Develop the leaders around you. Go into silence. Work on your customer experience. Have acute clarity on your 90 day goals. Work on your goals. Build relationships and trust. Persist.
5. Bureaucrats are threatened by change, Remarkable Entrepreneurs are inspired by change
The best entrepreneurs understand that a change is required to get to the next level of profits, success and fulfillment. Go through the confusion to get to the clarity.
6. Bureaucrats have jobs, Remarkable Entrepreneurs have crafts
Develop your talents and make a dent in the universe. Do something you are proud of. Elicit the best within you. The best entrepreneurs aren’t in it for the money, they’re in it for the pride they feel on creating world-class products and doing genius-level work.
7. Remarkable Entrepreneurs understand that an addiction to distraction is the death of creative production
The best entrepreneurs understand the key in business is to shift out of complexity + busy-ness to simplicity + focus. Focus on the few high leverage activities that will get you to where you want to be.
8. Bureaucrats wait until they get the energy, Remarkable Entrepreneurs understand that to get the energy you must first do the work
When you do the Work You Will Receive The 3 Entrepreneurial Gifts: 1. Release of more motivation 2. Release of confidence 3. Release of energy
9. Remarkable Entrepreneurs understand the bigger the dream the more important the team
Leadership is about influence – moving people to action by your example. Leadership is about impact – less talk more results. Leadership is about inspiration – grow other leaders
10. Remarkable Entrepreneurs populate their lives with people whose lives they want to be living
Surround yourself with people and environments that inspire you. Have an obsessive attention to excellence. Create worlds that inspire you.
11. Remarkable Entrepreneurs are obsessed fundamentally with giving
Ask yourself not what can I get, ask yourself who may I help. Business is about producing unusual value for as many people as possible.